Mumbai – For Class 3
Earlier Mumbai was known as Bombay. Mumbai is the capital of Maharashtra. It is situated on the west coast of India facing the Arabian Sea.
Mumbai has a moderate climate. It is warm and humid in summer and pleasant in winter. It gets heavy rain in the monsoon months from June to August. Due to heavy rain, parts of Mumbai city gets water logged.
Marathi and Konkani are the main languages of Mumbai. However, since people from different parts of India live and work in Mumbai, languages like Hindi, Gujarati, Urdu and English are spoken here.
Srikhand is the popular sweets of Mumbai. Bhelpuri, vada pav and pav bhaji are the most popular street foods of Mumbai.
All important festivals of India are celebrated in Mumbai, however, Ganesh Chaturthi is the most popular festival.
People of Mumbai travel mainly by bus and local trains. The Sahar International Airport in Mumbai is the busiest airport in India.
Gateway of India, Elephanta Caves, Victoria Gardens, Essel World, Hanging Gardens, Jehangir Art Gallery and Marine Drive are famous tourist places in Mumbai. Mumbai has some popular beaches like Juhu beach, Chaupati beach and Versova Marve beach.
Textiles, Medicines, oils, electronic goods and chemicals are the main industries in Mumbai. Thousands of people also work in famous hindi film industry in Mumbai called Bollywood. Mumbai also has important institutions like Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) and Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR).
India’s most important oilfields are located in Bombay High, off the Mumbai coast. From this oilfield, crude oil is extracted from the seabed.
A. ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS.
- Describe the climate of Mumbai?
- What are the languages spoken by the people of Mumbai?
- Which are the industries based in Mumbai?
- Write two sentences about the Elephanta Caves.
- Name four places of interest in Mumbai.
B. FILL IN THE BLANKS.
- Mumbai is the new name for __________.
- Mumbai is the capital of __________.
- The film industry in Mumbai is referred to as __________.
- _________ and ________ are two popular snacks of Mumbai.
- Crude oil has been found in __________ off the Mumbai coast.