People living in villages, towns and cities need drinking water, electricity, roads, schools and hospitals. These are called civic amenities.
Who chooses members of the Gram Panchayat?
The Gram Sabha chooses the members of the Gram Panchayat.
List four important functions of the Gram Panchayat.
Four important functions of the Gram Panchayat are-
1. To provide safe drinking water to villages.
2. To keep the village clean
3. To build and maintain village roads and street lights.
4. To set up and run health centres in the village to look after the sick.
Write three sentences about the Municipal Committee.
1. The members of the Municipal Committee in a town are elected by the people of that area who are 18 years of age or above.
2. The Municipal Committee elects a head called the Chairman or Chairperson.
3. The Municipal Committee construct and maintain roads and parks of a town.
How can we help our local agencies as good citizens?
We can help our local agencies as good citizens by keeping our village, town or city clean and paying our taxes regularly.
B. TRUE OR FALSE.
The members of the Gram Panchayat are chosen by people who are 12 years and above.
Most of the money for the Municipal Corporation comes from the taxes we pay.
All villages have a Municipal Corporation.
Every Gram Panchayat must have at least one woman member among its elected members.
The head of the Municipal Corporation is called the Sarpanch.
C. FILL IN THE BLANKS.
Civic amenities in villages are provided by the _______________.
The __________ is the head of the Gram Panchayat.
The Panchayat runs __________ centres to look after the sick.
Members of the Municipal Committee are called Municipal _________.
The _________ is the head of the Municipal Corporation.