Chennai is the capital of Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu is one of the southern states of India. The old name of Chennai is Madras. Chennai is the fourth largest city of India. It is located along the south-eastern coast of India, facing the Bay of Bengal. Chennai is a port city. Since it is the capital of Tamil Nadu, all important offices of the Government are located here. The Governor, Chief Minister and other ministers have their offices in Chennai.
Language and Culture
Tamil is the main language of Chennai. People of Chennai spoke English too. English is the second most commonly spoken language in Chennai. Tamil Nadu is known for its traditional dance and music. Bharatnatyam is the most popular dance form of Tamil Nadu and Carnatic music is the traditional music of the state.
The climate of Chennai is hot and humid throughout the year. It gets rain mainly in the months of October to December. Due to hot and humid weather people in Chennai mostly wear cotton clothes.
The traditional dress of the men is the veshti and shirt. They also wear trousers, jeans and shirts. Women wear sarees and blouses. Girls wear pavada, blouse, salwar kameez, jeans and T-shirts.
Pongal, the harvest festival, is the most popular festival celebrated in Chennai. However, all the important Indian festivals are also celebrated in Chennai with joy and excitement.
Major Tourist Attractions
Some famous tourist attractions in Chennai are Marina Beach, Golden Beach, Fort St George, Sri Parthasarathy Temple, Kapaleeshwara Temple, Santhome Cathedral, George Town, Valluvar Kottam and Chennai Museum.
A. ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS.
- What kind of clothes do people wear in Chennai?
- Which is the most important festival celebrated in Chennai?
- Name three important industries in Chennai.
- List four dishes eaten by the people of Chennai.
- Which three places would you like to visit in Chennai?
B. FILL IN THE BLANKS.
- Chennai is the capital of _________.
- Chennai is the ________ largest city in India.
- The sea which Chennai faces is the ____________.
- Most people in Chennai speak _________.
- Chennai has a __________ and ________ climate.